Monday, November 23, 2015

This is How I Rock, er Block

Welcome back!

As promised in Episode 2, I am going to share some notes from my first real blocking experience with the Amalie Shawl.

Now I had picked up pieces of information on blocking, so this is kind of an amalgamation of those ideas. If I am doing something SOOOOO wrong please let me know!

First off I prepared my little knit bath of SOAK wash (I love the yazu scent) and lukewarm water.


Then I let my shawl take a 15 minute bath, fully submerged. Rub a dub dub...


While my shawl is soaking I prepare my blocking mats. Holly likes to help. My mats are from Knitters Pride and I purchased them at my LYS, Yarntopia in Katy, TX. 


Once the shawl is nice and soaked, I take it out, gently squeezing out as much water as possible over the sink. I do not like making too much of a mess here. Then I let the shawl get a little roll in the towel to absorb more water. 


Using t pins, I laid out the shawl as I wanted it, trying to open up the lace sections and stretch the wings and spine out as much as I could without distorting stitches. 


After this is done, it went to sleep in my laundry closet. After about 12 hours in there it had dried quite a bit and was obviously not going to get much stretchier. I took it off the boards and let it dry in the sunlight on my patio. After a few hours it was nice and toasty and ready to go!

Again- newbie here so if I did something I should not do... please let me know! I welcome all suggestions and criticism. 

That is it for now- see you soon!

Knit on, 
Brittany

0 comments:

Post a Comment